Its that time of year now where we want to cuddle up with our loved ones and pets in a nice warm cosy room, under a blanket on the sofa and leave the weather outside right? But our dogs still need daily exercise whatever the weather and so here are a few tips to keep your pet safe and comfortable in the winter months.
– A well groomed, healthy coat provides all weather protection against the elements, so make sure you have your dog groomed according to their specific breed to ensure their coat works the way it should; Keeping them warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
– Having your dogs paws and feet well groomed and trimmed can help avoid ice build up between the pads.
– Try rubbing coconut oil into their pads to keep them well moisturised and crack free.
– Invest in a good dog jacket that reaches from the base of the neck to the base of the tail covering their tummy area to keep them snug.
– In very cold conditions limit their time outside.
– Winter salts on the roads and pavements can burn your dogs pads and are toxic. So after a walk outside rinse their feet with warm water to avoid them trying to lick the salts off.
– Anti freeze tastes very sweet and animals will readily drink it or lick it given the chance, its very toxic so it goes without saying it should be kept well away from animals and children!
I’m personally looking forward to the crispy frosty weather as it beats this wet, muddy mess that the parks are in now!
Keep warm everyone x